The castle Pihel was established approximately in 14th century. The first written reference about this castle is from 1396. The founder is not exactly known. Even though the lord Hynek Zajic from Hazmburk is generally accepted as the builder. In 1421 Jan from Chlum got the castle. This man accompanied Jan Hus, the reformer of Czech church, in 1415 to Constance where Jan Hus was burned to death. They became friends during this trip and after the return from Constance he followed in his study in Bohemia as a one of few Hus’ adherents. The castle has suffered several times during his history. The ruins outlasted til 17th century when it has been taken to parts as a construction material.